Monday, November 3, 2008

J/Q #3 Death & Holiday

Today, we don’t have holiday about death even though we have a lot of holiday every month on the year in Korea. We have holidays that mourn for the dead such as Armed Forces Day of Korea, the Memorial Day of Korea. I remember that we had a bugaboo day when my grandmother lives, long time ago. The old times, a lot of people believed that the bugaboo day, they should stay at home and close every doors and windows for protecting the bugaboo come to in house. I guess that an epidemic made a bugaboo day. Those times, many people had problems about an epidemic and lot of people died by a pestilence. As a result, peoples’ fear about epidemic made the bugaboo. However, according to developing medical, we can be saved many people from an epidemic. So, this superstition became disappear in the history. The people realized the bugaboo is not real. So, the day doesn’t be anymore in Korea. I think Halloween is far this case of Korea, but Halloween is also connected with fear or terror from death even if I don’t know about the origin of Halloween well. Halloween becomes interesting culture of U.S.A even though that the beginning was about death. It is affirmative way. I don’t think that the death means only bad things. I believe that because of death is exist, life also have the value in our life. And we can think more precious about life. I appreciate that I live and I will die someday. I wish that we have holidays like Halloween in Korea too. I like Halloween. And last Halloween was so exciting experience for me in Carbondale. Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

Anna said...

It's a very mature attitude to have. Many cultures fear death and treat it like a horrible and ugly thing but it cannot bee avoided and there is no point in freaking out.